Team member of EISN-Institute
Dr. Benno Böer
UNESCO OFFICE IN ADDIS ABEBA
Ecological Sciences Advisor – Africa
Science Specialist - Ethiopia,
Officer-In-Charge, UNESCO Addis Abeba Liaison Office with the African Union and UNECA
Assist the Director and UNESCO Representative to Ethiopia, the African Union and UNECA, with the routine and day-to-day management of the UNESCO Liaison Office. Lead the science team of the Addis Abeba Office, in order to foster science-based sustainable environmental development in Ethiopia and Member States of the African Union. Actively support the Regional Coordination Mechanisms (RCMs) with the African Union, UNECA and sister UN agencies in the fields (RCM Environment, Polulation, Urbanization, RCM Science & Technology, RCM Agriculture).
- Support the development of African Biosphere Reserves and World Heritage Sites.
- Organize a “Conference on United Nations accredited sites in Africa (UNESCO Biosphere Reserves, UNESCO World Heritage Sites, FAO Globally Important Agricultural Heritage Sites: Identification, establishment, management, functioning, and benefits)”.
- Develop model on “Floating Mangroves for Biofuel Production and other benefits”
- Identify and mobilize extra-budgetary resources for UNESCO sites and activities.
Invited member of the UNESCO Addis Abeba Risk Management Group
Invited member of the United Nations Crisis Management Team in Ethiopia.
Ecological Sciences Advisor – Arab Region, UNESCO Doha Office, Qatar (2004 – 2013)
Co-ordinate ecological sciences activities in the UNESCO Arab Region, and supervise and assist cultural activities in the Arab States of the Gulf & Yemen under direct guidance of the UNESCO Regional Representative, and with co-operation of sectors at headquarters, and field offices. Permanent supervision of a secretary, a programme assistant, project managers, numerous volunteers, placement students, and expert consultants. Assist the UNESCO Office in Doha as Acting Director and Acting Administration Officer routinely. Liaison with international, regional, and national environmental authorities, agencies, universities, companies, and legislative bodies, as well as NGO’s towards the utilization of scientific achievements for the sustainable development of the marine, coastal, and terrestrial geo-biological resources of the region and throughout Arabia.
- Managed and assisted numerous environmental activities in Bahrain, China, Egypt, Ethiopia, France, Germany, Iran, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Tunesia, Turkey, and the United Arab Emirates.
- Catalysed the establishment of the first biosphere reserves in the Arabian Peninsula, as well as a world natural heritage site, and two botanic gardens and centres of excellence for botanical education, research, and conservation.
Coastal and Marine Sciences Advisor – Arab Region, UNESCO Doha Office, Qatar (2000 – 2004)
Co-ordinate coastal and marine sciences activities in the UNESCO Arab Region. Liaison with international, regional, and national environmental authorities, agencies, universities, companies, and legislative bodies, as well as NGO’s towards the utilization of coastal and marine scientific achievements for the sustainable development of the marine and coastal geo-biological resources of the Arab Region.
- Managed and assisted numerous environmental activities in the Arab Region.
- Catalysed the identification and establishment of the first biosphere reserves in the Arabian Peninsula.
Habitat Researcher, ERWDA, United Arab Emirates (UAE)
(1997 – 2000)
Responsible for the research on terrestrial and coastal ecosystems, and developing a protected areas network for Abu Dhabi Emirate.
- Composed research plans, and generated essential information for ecosystem management.
- Identified, assessed and evaluated a protected areas network.
- Organized environmental management workshops and field campaigns with ERWDA & UNDP
CV, Awards, Publications...
Dr. Benno Böer.pdf
PDF-Dokument [168.1 KB]
Ecological Sciences Advisor - Africa Science Specialist - Ethiopia
UNESCO Liaison Office in Addis Abeba with the African Union and the Economic Commission for Africa Phone: +251 935 40 35 99 Fax: +251-11 551 1414 Email: email@example.com www.unesco.org/new/en/addisababa
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization UNECA Building, 1st floor, new building P O Box 1177, Addis Abeba, Ethiopia